Attempted murder suspect shoots himself after police pusuit in Mission Beach

Pursuit started on Mission Blvd at 12:30 a.m.

SAN DIEGO - A 37-year-old man who was a person of interest in a Missouri criminal case died of an apparent self-inflicted injury early Friday during a standoff with San Diego police that followed a low-speed pursuit through Mission Beach, authorities said.

Alan D. Lovelace Jr. of Blue Springs, Mo., was pronounced dead in the 900 block of San Luis Rey Place just before 1:30 a.m., according to the San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office.

About an hour earlier, San Diego police acting on a tip from the Blue Springs Missouri Police gave chase to Lovelace who was driving a gold Chevy van, stolen from Missouri, in the 4300 block of Ocean Boulevard, according to the Medical Examiner's Office and police.

The vehicle pursuit ended along the east terminal of San Luis Rey Place and a standoff ensued.

Cheyne Taum, who lives nearby, told 10News, "A guy in a K-9 car came; he had a big riot shield. More cops came; they had big guns, shotguns probably."

The minivan's engine was still running, and the vehicle remained in reverse. Tinted windows kept police from seeing inside.

San Diego police Lt. David Rohowits told reporters, "Obviously, we thought this was a very dangerous individual we thought might want to go down shooting with officers."

Neighbor Earl Balch watched as the scene unfolded, and he told 10News, "With the helicopter overhead, we could hear them say something like, 'We don't want to hurt you. Roll down your window. Come out.' No response; nothing happened so eventually they broke the window."

Lovelace remained in the van until police eventually made a tactical entry into it, and found the suspect dead, the Medical Examiner's Office reported.

According to KCTV 5 News in Kansas City, Mo., Lovelace was suspected of shooting his estranged girlfriend in the head as she left work in Grain Valley, Mo., Tuesday. The woman, identified as 33-year-old Amie Wieland, remained hospitalized Friday in critical, but stable condition.

Blue Springs police traced Lovelace to San Diego via his cellphone usage, according to KCTV 5 News, which quoted police as saying Lovelace shot and killed himself with a small-caliber handgun.

KDAF-TV, Fox4 News, in Kansas City, Mo. reported the victim was the mother of at least one of Lovelace's children. Lovelace was fired from a packaging company a few weeks ago, the news station reported.

Print this article Back to Top