Arrest made in concert beating case: Raymon Sharkey faces 2 felony counts

Zac Zander severely injured in incident

SAN DIEGO - Almost eight months after a Valley Center man was beaten by a group of young men in the parking lot of Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre, an arrest has been made in the case.

Raymond Sharkey, 27, was arraigned Thursday afternoon in Chula Vista on two felony counts of assault and battery.

Sharkey, a Marine sergeant station at Camp Pendleton, was arrested by Oceanside police during a traffic stop. 10News learned an arrest warrant had been issued for Sharkey, prompting his arrest in Oceanside.

Seven men were allegedly involved in the pummeling of Zac Zander before the Jason Aldean concert last October.

Zander had plate screws inserted in his face and a bone graft after the incident.

Keith Zander, the victim's father, was at Thursday's arraignment. He told 10News, "The first thing that came to my mind … the guy looks like a decent guy and how can you do such a heinous act and a barbaric act for such a calm-looking, normal-looking guy on the street?"

The Zander family's waited almost eight months for an arrest.

"We're ecstatic when we heard the news that this guy got arrested. We hope this is just the beginning until they get the other guys," Zander said.

Deputy District Attorney Janice De Leon couldn't talk about any arrests beyond Sharkey.  

"At this point, we have Mr. Sharkey charged. As the case develops, certainly we will look at other evidence and if the state of the evidence changes, we will evaluate other people for charges if it's appropriate," said De Leon.

Defense attorney Rafael Acosta wants bail reduced from $75,000.

"This is a young man who has served our country for seven years. He's stationed at Camp Pendleton. He's not a flight risk; he's not a danger to the public," Acosta said.

Bail will be addressed at a readiness hearing next week.

Keith Zander said his son is "in good spirits and he's got a good attitude about this. He's just hoping, like we all do, that justice will prevail. There were up to seven guys, who we believe are Marines and we hope this is just the first step in apprehending the rest of the hooligans."

Sharkey faces up to seven y ears in prison if convicted.

Print this article Back to Top