Anthony Arevalos victim, city of San Diego reach $795K settlement
City Council yet to approve of settlement
Last Updated: 73 days ago
SAN DIEGO - A woman who said a San Diego police officer sexually assaulted her in the back of a car during a drunken driving arrest reached a $795,000 settlement with the city Friday.
The woman, identified as "Jane Roe," received the largest out of a total of $2.3 million given so far to victims of former Officer Anthony Arevalos, who is now imprisoned.
The settlement was approved in federal court by U.S. Magistrate Judge William Gallo, said the woman's attorney, Mary Frances Prevost.
"This is going to allow a severely damaged woman to put her life back together," Prevost said about the settlement. The agreement still needs final approval by the San Diego City Council.
Ten other lawsuits have been settled, and one remains unresolved. The last case could cost millions of dollars if the city doesn't settle, said the lawyer, who does not represent the remaining plaintiff.
The ex-cop was sentenced to almost nine years in prison for demanding sexual favors from women he pulled over for alleged drunken driving violations in the Gaslamp Quarter.
In the fall, the city settled with three women. One agreement, for $675,000, compensated a woman who said Arevalos reached into her jeans and also asked if her breasts were real.
Another woman accepted $170,000. She said the former officer cupped her breasts three times during a traffic stop.
A $75,000 settlement went to a woman who said she suffered a panic attack when he pulled her over and made suggestive remarks.
"Jane Roe" said she was assaulted in February 2010 in the back of a vehicle after Arevalos pulled her over.
Copyright 2013 by City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.