2nd Filner accuser reacts to news of proposal after 3 days of mediation
Last Updated: 113 days ago
SAN DIEGO - The second woman to accuse Mayor Bob Filner of sexual harassment spoke with 10News on Wednesday regarding news that a proposed agreement had been reached following three days of mediation.
City Council will vote on the proposal during a closed session on Friday.
"I am glad that we have reached some sort of a resolution or at least a step forward," said Laura Fink.
She spoke with 10News as one of the many women who accused Filner of sexual harassment. At one point she was just one of two -- at a time when most people could have never imagined meeting accuser No. 18.
"In coming together, all of us standing shoulder to shoulder, has helped us," said Fink. "I'm proud of being part of that."
But Fink has never been a part of the lawsuit or the mediation that very well may end Filner's political career.
She is not with attorney Gloria Allred, who plans to respond to the developments from her Los Angeles offices.
Fink says she is not really concerned with all of that.
"Ultimately, that this behavior stops … I think that removing the mayor from power is a huge part of that," she said.
It is a possible reality that Fink says comes with a bit of satisfaction. Knowing that the risk she took and attaching her name to a scandal that has made global headlines was worth it.
"Certainly, there is a big risk in coming forward, and there are detractors that will dog you," she said. "However, the support has been more of a tsunami and I appreciate that."
She said she hopes that Wednesday night's announcement means that she can start to put all of this behind her. She is still anxious to what the City Council will say on Friday.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.