2 women, dog use bedroom window to escape University Heights house fire

Crews: Floor heater may have started blaze

SAN DIEGO - Two women and their dog had to climb out of a window to reach safety Monday night when a fire started in their University Heights home.

The San Diego Fire Department said the blaze started at 10:30 p.m. in the bedroom of the home on the 2000 block of Monroe Avenue.

According to investigators, a floor heater may have started the fire that quickly spread to the carpet and floor of the room.

The women and their pet escaped the flames by exiting the bedroom through a window. However, the smoke trapped them in their backyard. 

Police officers who arrived on scene helped the women over a wooden fence to safety as firefighters battled the blaze. 

Fire crews said it took about 10 minutes to knock down the fire.

One of the women was treated by paramedics at the scene for minor injuries to her foot that she suffered during the escape.

The San Diego chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the women in the wake of the fire.

WATCH LIVE: 10News Reporter Marie Coronel will have live updates from the scene on 10News This Morning from 4:30-7 a.m.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments