Angie's List: How to prevent scrap metal theft
Last Updated: 252 days ago
- Secure the a/c unit with a padlock and chain so thieves can’t reach the valuable metal.
- Add an alarm unit with sensors to your a/c unit or a video surveillance system.
- Record your unit’s serial number in the case of theft – it won’t prevent the crime, but it could help solve it.
- Install motion sensors on your outdoor lighting. This is an inexpensive way to deter burglars – when the lights come on, they will think someone is coming. Make sure your lights are pointed toward the ground – a spotlight into the sky won’t help anyone see what’s happening on the ground.
- Lock your garage and sheds that contain tools and ladders that thieves can use to steal your stuff.
- Keep plants around your gutters and downspouts trimmed. That way, passersby will be able to spot the thieves at work.
- Scrap metal thieves are also yanking catalytic converters out of cars. Park your car in a garage or well-lit area.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.