Get the "scoop" on National Ice Cream Day, which is Sunday, July 21.
Ice cream is a favorite treat of many people, and the numbers show it. According to the International Dairy Foods Association, in 2010, the U.S. ice cream industry generated total revenues of $10 billion. In 2011, about 1.53 billion gallons of ice cream and related frozen desserts were produced in the United States, according to the group.
But President Ronald Reagan had already recognized America's love of ice cream back in 1984, writing in a proclamation, "Ice cream is a nutritious and wholesome food, enjoyed by over ninety percent of the people in the United States."
In the proclamation, he declared July as National Ice Cream month and the third Sunday of the month as National Ice Cream Day and called on the nation to "observe these events with appropriate ceremonies and activities."
This year, National Ice Cream Day falls on July 21. Why not celebrate by enjoying a frozen treat around town?
Here are some ideas:
- Mariposa Ice Cream in Normal Heights: 3450 Adams Ave., San Diego, CA 92116
- Lighthouse Ice Cream & Yogurt in Ocean Beach: 5059 Newport Ave., San Diego, CA 92107
- Rockie's Frozen Yogurt in Clairemont: 7612 Linda Vista Rd., San Diego CA 92111
- Lappert's Ice Cream & Coffee Lounge near Poway: 12265 Scripps Poway Pkwy., San Diego, CA 92064
- The Daily Scoop in South Park: 3004 Juniper St., San Diego, CA 92104
- Pappalecco in Little Italy: 1602 State St., San Diego, CA 92101
- Ghirardelli Ice Cream & Chocolate Shop in the Gaslamp: 643 Fifth Ave., San Diego, CA 92101
And as for America's favorite flavor, the IDFA says it is vanilla, followed by chocolate, cookies and cream, strawberry and chocolate chip mint.