HOLLYWOOD, Calif. -
Police were investigating an apparent prank involving a fake report from someone who claimed Wednesday that a home invasion involving gunfire was unfolding at actor Ashton Kutcher's Hollywood Hills home.
Officers sent to the 3000 block of Arrowhead Drive about 11 a.m. on a report of a burglary in progress detained three people, according to Los Angeles police Officer Tenesha Dobine of the Media Relations office.
Police searched the multi-level residence, but found no other people inside, Dobine said.
A preliminary investigation indicated that the incident apparently was a prank, Dobine said. Police did not arrest the three people who were questioned, Dobine said.
LAPD Officer Cleon Joseph told KCAL9 at the scene that the initial report of trouble came via a teletype message -- sent using a machine typically used by a person who is deaf or hard of hearing -- received at the department's Hollywood Station. The message reported that shots had been fired and the person sending the message was hiding in a closet.
"We responded accordingly," he said. "We sent resources out, helicopters, the whole works, out to a hostage rescue. When we got here apparently it wasn't so."
Joseph said one of Kutcher's assistants met police at the home and told them there was no trouble inside. Police searched the home anyway and found no evidence of any disturbance.
"There was no distress call at all coming from the home, so we checked it out and found out, of course, it was a hoax," he told Channel 9.
"At the end of the day, we're going to get down to the bottom of it," Joseph said. "We're going to get detectives on it. We're going to trace the teletype, hopefully we can get down to who this person was and bring them to justice as quickly as possible."
Kutcher posted a message on his Twitter page about 2:25 p.m., apparently in response to queries about his safety.
"Safe an(d) sound at 'Two and a Half Men.' Don't miss tomorrow night 8:30," Kutcher wrote. He included a photo of the CBS show's set.