Dog 'Max' alerts Indiana homeowner to fire; man calls his dog 'hero'

EVANSVILLE, Ind. - A dog in southern Indiana lived up to the "man's best friend" saying early Tuesday by causing enough of a ruckus to awaken his owner during a house fire.

A dispatcher in Evansville said the fire broke out at a home in the 100 block of East Iowa Street just before 12:30 a.m. Firefighters were able to put the fire out within a half-hour, but not before it did extensive damage to the home.

Robert Shadrick, who was outside the home later Tuesday morning, credited his German Shepherd, Max, with making him aware of the fire so he could get out alive.

Shadrick told the Evansville Courier & Press that Max started barking when the fire broke out and ran away in the aftermath of the fire. Shadrick said he later found Max on a nearby street.

"Max got to raising so much hell that I got out of bed and (saw) my kitchen totally engulfed in flames," Shadrick posted on Facebook. "I would have to say he is my guardian angel."

Shadrick said he lost everything he owns, but is just happy to be alive.

"Thank you, Max. You are my HERO," Shadrick posted.

Print this article Back to Top